Sunday 9 March 2014

40 days of blogging

So in a (probably vain) vague attempt to cheer myself up and stay there, I have decided to... well, accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, et cetera. So I'm starting Lent, a little late, and for the next forty days I'm going to try to find good, happy, fun things in each day, and blog about them to drive the point home to myself. I won't be tweeting every single blog post, so as to spam you as little as possible, but for those of you following the blog itself, I apologise in advance. Also, I will appreciate any nudges or any shiny pretty things you feel like sharing with me to give me more material. If I run out of happy, I'll just have to expand on my snippet of squee about The Gospel of Loki, and do a full post review.

Right, then. Good things about today: it was sunny, I was (most unusually) on time to go places with friends, and one of the places in question was a Vintage Fair in town. The cosplayer in me tends to take over at places like that, and I start eying up anything that looks familiar, or a little bit steampunk. Most Vintage stuff tends to aim for '50s at the moment, though, so I thought I'd be restrained. And then we walked in and I suddenly remembered I'm going to a couple of weddings this year (starting with my uncle's in May) and I've... ahem... grown out of most of my usual smart attire. Suffice it to say I found a cute little dress for an extremely reasonable price, and am pretty sure I'll be able to get into it even if I go wild in the post-Easter chocolate sales. Remind me, and I'll try to get a picture sorted, steampunk boots and all (because I can't get too girly, now, can I?).

I also got my hands on three new snazzy sci-fi books, too, thanks to awesome friends and wonderful author giveaways. I came home with: Honour's Knight by Rachel Bach (sequel to Fortune's Pawn, which I've been itching to read since I finished the first, naturally); Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (which I'm intrigued to read due to the interesting reviews I've seen around so far); and City of Angels by Todd McCaffrey (whose technological worldbuilding is generally top notch). So I'm keen to get on with those and will be trying to do a review post for each of them soon.

First, though, I really must finish poor old Tick Tock. If I could just get out of the treacle pits of dragging, difficult scenes and into the flow again... With all those lovely book carrots dangling ahead of me, and that March 15 deadline stick lurking behind, I'm sure I can manage to wrestle one little short story into shape, right?

Oh, and I made a full batch of perfect pancakes, too. Because if you're going to start Lent late, you have to fit pancakes in somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. AND you single-handedly kept your friend hydrated ;)

    ReplyDelete