Friday 21 March 2014

One down, five to go

Couple of successes today, after a rocky few days. Made it into town and requested all of the Clarke Award shortlist from the library, aside from the one I've already been lent. They had none of them in stock yet at all, which is kind of a shame, especially considering the amount of buzz I've seen about a few of them, but I suppose I move in different circles to the library. In any case, the five I haven't got my hands on yet are now on order, and I hope they'll come through soon enough that I'll still have time to read and review them all before May 1st, when the winner's announced.

I picked up a couple of other books while I was there, including a steampunk short story anthology, because I've been writing those recently and am always happy to read more. Also one of the stories is by Jody Lynn Nye, and I need to read more of her stuff.

The other success was, naturally, food related (as usual). I managed to make a faux shepherd's pie (not lamb; pork - the suggestion came in of "swineherd's pie", which I like) from scratch, with no recipe. I even mixed it up a bit and made the mashed potato topping half Maris Pipers and half sweet potato, and that turned out pretty spectacularly. I'm very pleased with it all, even if it did take a long time and cause a bit of a mess in the kitchen. I'm starting to like this cooking thing, especially when it results in tasty food rather than just edible food. Focusing on something other than writing for a while is helpful, like sorbet between courses. Cleansing the palate of the brain.

Now I want ice cream. I wonder how you make that...

(Bonus: Everyone who read the title in Benicio del Toro's voice, take ten points and a nod of geeky appreciation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment